Saturday, November 19, 2011

ZINES. ART. FEMINISM.





Feeling really inspired today after being on this panel at the Jacksonville Public Library.

http://jplzinelibrary.wordpress.com/kathleen-hanna/

The talk was about zines, The Personal is Political. Kathleen Hanna (Bikini Kill, LeTigre, Julie Ruin) was the keynote, and It was such and honor to be a part of a conversation with someone who was one of the folks who paved the way for me as a musician and artist!

I haven't done a zine in 5 or 6 years, but it was great to be invited to be on the panel because that is my artistic root. I made my first zine when I was 17. Interviewing bands and doing punk show reviews, then I moved away from that and started writing about my experience as a black women in the punk scene. It was a really special time period of my life because I was so vulnerable with people I didn't know. Through my zines I became penpals with other women of color who had similar experiences to me. This was so crucial to my creative life, just to feel that I was not alone. So when I got home I looked through some of my old zines.....part embarassing, part cool.




4 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to make a zine! Is yours still available to read or are they all completely out of print?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are all out of print, sadly. But i know that they are a part of some zine archives like the one at the San Francisco public library, not sure where else though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, well. I guess you will just have to do make another one, right? Right?? You know people wanna read that shit.
    p.s. congrats on the panel, it sounds awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. . .really nice art. . .thanks a lot for showing it to me..keep it up ...
    vapor recovery unit

    ReplyDelete